Congratulations if you are thinking about getting married in the parish. You will find much useful information exploring what marriage is about and how to go about planning your marriage at www.yourchurchwedding.org.
In brief, you are entitled to be married in our parish, at either Christ Church or St. George's, if you can demonstate a qualifying connection (QC).
A QC means that one of the couple either:
- was baptised in the parish
- was prepared for confirmation in the parish
- lives in the parish
- is on the church's electoral roll
- has at any time lived in the parish for a period of at least 6 months
- has habitually attended normal church services in the parish church for a period of at least 6 months
one of their parents; at any time after they were born:
- has lived in the parish for a period of at least 6 months
- has any any time habitually attended normal church services in the parish church for a period of at least 6 months
one of their parents or grandparents:
- was married in the parish
If you can establish a QC then the next step is to get in touch with us to establish a provisional wedding date and discuss the ensuing process. If either party has been previously married (and their former spouses are still living) please flag this up to the Rector as soon as possible for further discussion.